Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 15 - History is a mystery

I've been doing some additional reading for my history class this weekend, and it has left me feeling a bit lost. This morning, I read this innocuous-looking text called, "Writing History," only to find the process of doing historical research more than a little daunting. It was a quick read that let me know that writing historical essays is so much more complex that I thought. The work of historians on any subject is - to put it mildly - excruciating, exacting, painstaking and incredibly time consuming.

Never fear. I'm sure a good night's sleep will put me on the right course tomorrow. I've often found that assessing a project or assignment, then taking a nice break and returning with fresh eyes can give one the necessary perspective.

Still, I am contemplating a change in research topics. The class is tasked to find a historical subject related to mass media or mass communications and write a paper on it. It has been suggested that the best topics are those you have a real interest in. Now, this may sound silly to some of you, but there is a mass media phenomenon with which I have always been fascinated - anything related to the Star Trek TV & film franchise. I'm considering an analysis of its history - the creation and creator - and investigation of correlations between Trek-tech (gadgets like communicators and phasers) and modern day communications technologies. After reading today about the way true historical research is actually conducted, I'm not sure where to head first. Any thoughts or comments? Feel free to click on the comment link below.

Tomorrow, I spend the day at the campus Library and begin locating and reading articles for the literature review section of my Capstone project. Once my survey is approved and disseminated, I can fill you in on this project. It covers something of interest and involves a technology used every day!

A final quote to end a great weekend....

“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. It is only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.” Chuck Palahniuk

SkinStore.com




No comments:

Post a Comment