Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 19 - Time is fleeting

It's time to get serious about the way I am structuring the days. I thought I was on top of things until several hours ago. I was so caught up in a project this morning that I completely lost track of time. I thought I had worked for about an hour or two. Turns out, it was nearly five. When I finally did come up for air it was minutes before 2:00 pm. I got busy and raced to campus for a 2:15 class - and a test. This is when I made another critical error in judgment. In order to save a few minutes, I chose to park near the classroom building (where I should not have) instead of in the student lot on the other side of campus. Of course, I understood the consequences, and of course, I did receive a parking ticket. I deserved it!

What makes the story more embarrassing is that I when I arrived breathless at the classroom in what I believed to be the "nick of time," I found that I had also written down the schedule incorrectly. The class started at 2:00. (Man, my face is red.) Yes, I actually missed my first test of the semester. But providence is with me right now - in so many ways - and this tale has a happy ending. My wonderful, generous marketing professor was understanding and allowed me to stay after class and take the quiz. I am so grateful; surely this was above and beyond the call of duty. The only thing I did right this afternoon it seems (and this is big) is that I managed to remain calm throughout. I think I even did well on the test.

This evening, the History of US Media seminar was terrific. With the right teacher, history can be my favorite subject. I've got one of the best professors. Taught by the chair of the MSU Journalism department himself, this history class has a text that reads like the best fiction novel, and all the audience participation you need to keep going for three hours at a session. It hardly feels like school to me, although I wonder if my traditional counterparts would agree. It actually appears that my luck was overflowing today, because right in the middle of the seminar, the same librarian I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to visit all week long came to make a presentation. How great is that? I asked my questions and now I know what to do for my trip to the library tomorrow.

Even with a couple of minor glitches, this was a good day. I will admit to a tendency toward over-dramatization whenever things don't go as I planned. The perfectionist in me is generally forgiving of everyone and everything except - me. Not today, however; with a little help from a friend, I did beat down my inner "drama queen," and that is progress.

Making Social Media Headlines
In sports news, this Monday, the National Football League announced that it will now limit the use of "social media." Players, coaches, officials, personnel, third-party representatives, and even the media itself, are prohibited from updating their status, blogging, or tweeting for 90 minutes before each game and until all the post interviews are completed. What do you think of this?

This tidbit caught my eye because I'm studying all things Social Media-related. It's a bold move on the part of the NFL, in my opinion. How on earth can they enforce this? One player, Chad Ochocinco, is already bragging online that he plans to circumvent the rules and tweet while he's playing. I am not so sure I like the idea of a player being more concerned about keeping in touch than winning the game. Still, it's an amazing twist on the use, or non-use, of social media. And to think that just over a year ago, most of us had never heard of Twitter - and today it's affecting the NFL.

Well, that's all the news I'm fit to print tonight. Speaking of football, the MSU Racers played their first home game tonight. Tune in tomorrow, sports fans!

Peace.

Make any event special with personalized MY M&M’S®

No comments:

Post a Comment