Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 25 - Git 'R Done

I'm finally getting into the groove. This was a day packed with activities and I really pushed it to the limit. The morning began with coffee with the Sippers, a new club within the MSU Women's Society. We met for our first session at the organizer's beautiful home for strong coffee and some camaraderie. What an amazing, diverse population of women reside in this town! Without missing a beat, we all found so much in common - from connections to my favorite vacation spot (Hilton Head Island) to our educational backgrounds, to mutual friends and co-workers. It's such a treat to make new friends. I am blessed once again by the kindness of Murray.

Now, it might have been the jolt from those two cups of coffee, but I credit the morning of spirited discussion with my later motivation. After the coffee, I headed straight to the gym. While walking on a treadmill, I realized just how stressed out I've been about classes. Truth is, I just don't feel I've made adequate progress so far. I decided I would take action - make a smart choice. I vowed to knock out one entire assignment - no matter what it takes - today.

It's been many years since I was a full-time writer so the weight of the mountain of writing that lies before me and the necessary research (or my irrational fear of it) was getting to me. I do this to myself and it is not helpful. Realizing it is half the battle, though. So, I started to write. I chose the simplest, shortest project (even though others are due sooner). In just three hours, I had the entire thing nearly complete. That's one book analysis under my belt. Woo hoo! I need to refine it in the morning, of course, but the hard part is done. As I wrap things up on the computer, I feel 100% better. Yes, I can do this. We can do this. We are capable of so much more than we imagine. I'm betting I'm not alone in the fact that I am sometimes my own worst enemy.

The key to facing a mountain of work (school or otherwise) is, as I've said before, tackling one small bite at a time ...one step at a time.

Tonight, I'm off to walk the Labyrinth. I'm looking forward to parading through a large circular maze with a group of strangers at exactly 9:09 pm (on 9/9/09). I'll share the details of what promises to be a unique experience in tomorrow's blog... same Bat time, same Bat station!


No comments:

Post a Comment