Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 40 - Facebook Celebrates a Milestone


Facebook announced today that it has surpassed the 300 million-user mark, and the company is now making money - for the first time. It was bound to happen sooner or later, but the company had said that it would not happen until next year.
Apparently they're ahead of schedule. That's saying quite a lot in light of the recession. According to founder, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook became cash flow positive last quarter. "Over time, Facebook will continue to be as strong as all of the connections you make," Zuckerberg added. "We'll continue building new and better things to make connecting with the people you care about as easy and rewarding as possible."

Source: Chris Crum, WebProNews (9/24/09).


Back to that magic number - 300 million. To put this into perspective, the official 2008 population for the entire United States was just over 304 million. That's a lot of people on one social network.


Amazing, but true.


Meanwhile, back in the land of the studious...um....student
I'm still plugging away at this ever-expanding pile of class assignments, putting way too much pressure on myself, as I tend to do. To counteract this natural tendency, I'm also doing everything I can think of to combat the stress - yoga classes, hitting the gym, meditating, talking to anyone who will listen. Blogging about things is actually fairly cathartic. I think I'll live.

The big news this week is that I have received approval from the IRB (Institution Review Board) to proceed with my survey and final research project. The process of applying for and gaining this IRB approval was scary at first but relatively painless. I even met a new a friend when I went to the office for my interview. Sally, who runs this department, is also from Florida so she and I have a lot in common. I must overlook the fact that she's a Florida State "Seminole" (I attended THE University of Florida). Suddenly, the old football rivalries strike me as nothing but humorous.

Now, I can rock and roll with my survey distribution. It's a big step in the right direction. For anyone out there considering grad school, do not be put off thinking it's all that difficult. It's not. It just requires focus and patience. It's definitely one of the best moves I've ever made. If I can help others to open up their minds to the endless possibilities available through education, then that would be icing on the cake.

On tap tonight: a local "drumming circle." I hope it's a great stress reliever.

Ci
ao!

First Order ships for $2.95

Shop Timeless Wedding Gifts from DaySpring


Spreadshirt Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment