Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 41 - Sometimes, pets ARE better than people


I really should have titled this column why "dogs" are better than people (but I didn't want to anger any cat owners, especially since I am one). Earlier this week, my fluffy, sweet, adorable rescue kitten - the one I saved from certain death 10 months ago - ate an entire telephone cord, and I mean really destroyed the whole thing, which left me out of touch for a couple of days. Now this was only a minor inconvenience. Still, the cat never paid any attention to any other power cord in my house, and she had to work hard to get at this one hidden behind a bedside table.

What I haven't mentioned is that Angel (my cat) appears to hate it when I talk on the phone. She comes flying out of nowhere any time the phone rings and tries to distract me throughout my conversations, indicating that I should be paying attention to her instead of the person on the other end of the line. I can't help but wonder, did this sneaky little scamp figure out where the power to the "cordless" phone was coming from and actually set out to destroy it? That is a silly thought, right? But I wonder. Either I have an incredibly smart cat or she's a little crazy. My vet did tell me to watch out for this calico. Regardless, my "Angel" appears to have a little devil in her!

The phone is now repaired but this set me thinking about how improved my quality of life is since Angel came to live with me. I think it's because I am free to be myself with her always. Animals have often provided me with better company than some of the humans in my life. This was especially true of my last dog, who provided loyal companionship for 11 years and got me through some pretty tough times. Let's face it. A dog will always love you unconditionally, and sometimes the cat just isn't in the "mood."

Here are the 10 best reasons it's OK to put more faith in our pet relationships:

  1. They’re always happy to see you.
  2. They sense whether you like them and they like you back right away.
  3. They don’t carry grudges.
  4. They are always there for you if you’re having a bad day.
  5. If you know how to behave as an owner, they are easily trainable.
  6. They are content to just hang out with you for hours at a time without asking for anything (other than when nature calls).
  7. They don’t over-analyze anything.
  8. They make you smile and laugh when you wouldn't normally be smiling or laughing.
  9. They are consistent.
  10. They watch your back and your house.
It's easy to build a strong argument for pet ownership today. Pet owners live longer, for goodness sakes! With so many animals dying to be rescued in shelters, there's no reason not to adopt one if you are so inclined. Sure, pet ownership is a responsibility, but compared to the load of baggage most people will bring into our lives, taking care of a pet who loves us - unconditionally - might just be easier (and more rewarding) than dating!

If you disagree, I'd love to hear about it. Just leave a comment below.




50% Off Framed Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment