Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day 8 - Not Disney World...

We are the creators of our experience. This is the lesson I took away from "Money, and the Law of Attraction," which I finally finished this afternoon. After listening to 16 hours of CDs, I find myself reflecting on what I have learned. It's nothing I didn't already know on some level. Much of it I had heard before. Yet, this has been the perfect time to hear it again and within this context.

I am where I am relative to all things, and nothing I am living just happened to me; it is all happening in response to my thoughts. The basic idea is that our thoughts create our actions, and a point of attraction within us. We get back exactly what we create - what we focus on. But there's so much more to it.

More than ever, after listening to this material, I want to be the joyous creator I was meant to be. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the entire concept, but it makes sense. If you focus your thoughts toward what you want, as opposed to what you lack; if you change your story and start telling it the way you want it to be instead of the way it was in the past, then you can achieve anything. "There is no source of darkness, only a source of light." That's one line that particularly resonated for me.

We're all on a personal journey to find that light within ourselves - to find and know our own true nature. According to teachers Esther and Jerry Hicks, it takes only 68 seconds of focus on a new thought (telling it the way you want it to be) and the universe will recognize a slight vibrational shift. You begin to attract what you
are now focused upon. By simply caring more about how you really feel you can catch yourself mentally saying "I don't have enough money" and focus on a new thought like, "I am excited about my earning potential." We must acknowledge what we feel. Determine if that is what we really want, and focus our thoughts on those that bring us closer to our goals.

Each negative thought is an opportunity to observe and refocus. You might think this sounds far too simple, but for me it's going to take practice. First, I must k
now the difference between hope and doubt; next, change my thinking regularly until I am more often hopeful than doubtful. Then, I can attract what I want. I so appreciate and enjoy the idea that I can be or do anything I can conceive.

I heard a cute story today about a couple about to embark on their first white-water rafting trip. They climbed tentatively into the raft with three college students and looked at the violent, rushing water ahead. Their guide turned and said, "Remember, this isn't Disney Word. I can't stop the river and you can't get out. We can't turn around and go upstream. This is it; this is real." Our lives might be seen as a metaphor for that raging river. We certainly can't stop the flow if the water gets rough. We can't turn around and go back. All we can do is grab our paddles and go with the flow. It is the ultimate adventure. Our success lies in pushing forward with the right attitude and level of commitment.


I hope you've had a great weekend. I've mapped out my study and assignment plan for the semester so it is no longer overwhelming. I chose two teammates for my social media class and selected research topics for the two other classes. For the first time in my scholastic career, I simply chose topics I like and am interested in learning about. This is going to be a great couple of months.

Paddle's up everyone! It's sure to be a great ride.

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment